1/16/08

Doormat Project

Out of the hat: Colombia. Began research with the obvious Wikipedia as a starting point, looking up local flora/fauna, artwork, etc. Found this.

I've always been fond of that sort of style with all the concentric outlines. Once in grade school we did some project based off of art like this using crayons as wax resist and painting over top. Hadn't known they're made by the Kuna people of Panama and Colombia, and are called Mola.
Really drawn to these. Looked at a bunch of other precolombian artifact type things, lots of gorgeous gold work and figural ceramics.


I've decided to use these sort of concentrically outlined forms in my design- but don't want to be making -Doormat; in the style of...precolombian! Next, the jazz version, and so on. So, working now on what the imagery ought to be to be 'welcoming' and something that's my own.

Did some pencil sketches, Illustrator sketches, and some playing with materials today. I think I'll end up with the sewn rope. As far as the pattern goes, I've got an open threshold shape with more right angled geometric forms outside, and a more organic sort of flourishing inside. Kind of literal- but also due soon. : )


No comments: